FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Might 16, 2022
Contact: [email protected]
Governor Whitmer Proclaims Caring for MI Future Plan
The plan units a daring purpose to open 1,000 new baby care packages by 2024 by means of $100 million funding to develop entry to baby take care of working households and help baby care suppliers
Battle Creek, Mich. – As we speak, Governor Gretchen Whitmer, Lieutenant Governor Garlin Gilchrist II, the Michigan Division of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA), and the Michigan Division of Schooling introduced an formidable purpose to open 1,000 new baby care packages by the top of 2024 and launched Caring for MI Future— a $100 million plan to get there.
“Almost half of Michigan households stay in a neighborhood with out sufficient baby care choices to satisfy their wants. Lack of kid care choices means households are pressured to go away the workforce, work fewer hours, or piece collectively baby care choices that don’t work very effectively for his or her household. That doesn’t work for teenagers, households, or employers,” mentioned Governor Gretchen Whitmer. “That’s why I’m proud to have labored throughout the aisle to safe a $100 million bipartisan funding to launch the Caring for MI Future plan, which can dramatically enhance entry to baby care throughout our state. Opening and increasing baby care packages will join extra children with high quality early studying and assist extra households return to work figuring out their children are secure.”
“We have now unimaginable baby care entrepreneurs throughout the state, and proper now, they’re standing tall for teenagers on a shoestring funds. The Caring for MI Future plan responds to essentially the most urgent wants dealing with baby care entrepreneurs and strives to create a extra sustainable baby care market in Michigan,” mentioned Lt. Governor Garlin Gilchrist II. “This plan helps entrepreneurs create prime quality amenities, safe early capital, recruit gifted employees, and join with technical help earlier than they’re licensed. Investing in entrepreneurs means extra Michigan children and households have entry to high notch baby care of their communities. That’s excellent news for Michigan.”
“High quality baby care packages are the silent drivers of our financial system.” mentioned Michigan Division of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs Director Orlene Hawks. “This funding will develop entry to secure, high quality, inexpensive baby care throughout the state. LARA’s One-Cease Store will assist baby care entrepreneurs discover and create secure locations to open their enterprise, help with start-up funding, join them to baby care schooling grants, and supply ongoing enterprise helps to assist them succeed.
“Caring for MI Future helps our increasing effort to do all we will to assist our little ones get an awesome begin and assist their dad and mom entry high quality baby care,” mentioned State Superintendent Dr. Michael Rice. “We have now the sources and the chance within the state proper now to make a big distinction for our youngsters whereas serving to drive an financial system that may present for kids and households. It is a nice bipartisan funding in Michigan’s future.”
“Vibrant Lights opened on February 1 of this yr and the previous three months are the end result of a imaginative and prescient I’ve had for some time,” mentioned Lindsey Potter, proprietor of Vibrant Lights Early Care. “I labored steadily for over a yr on the licensing and enterprise startup operations course of and am excited to be part of this announcement that can proceed to help baby care entrepreneurs like myself and the educators we make use of.”
Caring for MI Future
Caring for MI Future is a $100 million funding to assist extra Michigan households discover high quality, inexpensive baby care of their neighborhood. As we speak, in line with the Michigan League for Public Coverage, almost half of communities don’t have sufficient baby care choices to satisfy demand.
To reply, the state is investing $100 million to dramatically enhance entry to baby care throughout the state and open 1,000 new, or expanded, baby care packages by the top of 2024. This technique responds to essentially the most urgent wants dealing with baby care entrepreneurs and creates sustainable techniques to help the present and subsequent era of kid care enterprise house owners.
By means of Caring for Mi Future, entrepreneurs could have entry to:
- Assist figuring out and renovating amenities: Youngster care companies want entry to inexpensive, licensable areas to care for teenagers. There can be $51.1 million in grant funding accessible to renovate and improve amenities to satisfy licensing and high quality requirements. Grant purposes can be accessible in late summer season 2022.
- Startup funding: Cashflow is an ongoing problem for baby care companies, particularly new websites that should incur prices effectively earlier than they’ve income. The state will award $23 million in grants for packages earlier than they’re licensed and instantly after receiving their license.
- Assist to recruit employees: Entrepreneurs can’t open and develop their companies if they’ll’t rent employees. The state will make investments over $11.4 million to proceed our statewide effort to recruit, prepare, and retain gifted early educators that stay and work within the communities they serve.
- Enterprise growth instruments: Many new companies profit from help from the state and their neighborhood to evaluate market calls for, establish area, adjust to well being and security guidelines—together with native zoning, and create a marketing strategy. The state will make investments $14.3 million to align these sources and make the startup and licensing course of clearer and quicker for suppliers.
For added particulars on when particular grants can be accessible to entrepreneurs, go to Michigan.gov/childcare.
Delivering for Households
Caring for MI Future is a part of a bipartisan $1.4 billion funding to develop entry to high quality, inexpensive baby care and get Michigan households again to work. Youngster care is commonly the biggest expense in a household’s funds and one in three Michigan households at the moment are eligible without cost or low-cost baby care.
To qualify, households should:
- Have a toddler beneath age 13
- Want baby care as a result of they’re working or going to highschool
- Have a qualifying earnings.
- Your month-to-month earnings should be lower than $2,686 for a household of two, $3,386 for a household of three, or $4,085 for a household of 4.
- Go to Michigan.gov/childcare for a whole checklist of causes households could qualify for low or no price baby care and qualifying earnings ranges for bigger households.
Households can apply for childcare help by visiting MiBridges.Michigan.gov.