- Jerry Lee is the COO and cofounder of Wonsulting, a profession consulting firm.
- Whereas nonetheless in school, Lee landed an internship at Google and stayed on the firm for 3 years.
- He says a robust résumé is likely one of the handiest methods to face out to recruiters.
I labored at Google between 2017 and 2020, first by means of the corporate’s BOLD internship program whereas attending Babson School.
I first heard about this system whereas I used to be a 3rd yr pupil at Babson School, struggling to seek out an internship. Throughout my first semester of my junior yr (September – December 2016), I had utilized to over 200 internships, interviewed with 20, and landed round 5 remaining spherical interviews.
Out of the 200 internships I utilized to, Google’s BOLD internship was one of many packages I believed I used to be not “sensible” sufficient to use to.
This system — which stands for “Constructing Alternatives for Management and Growth” — is the corporate’s flagship undergraduate enterprise internship that lasts 10 to 12 weeks. Contributors can select between features like advertising, gross sales, help, and analytics, and are assigned a mentor, embedded right into a group, and given a high-impact challenge.
Regardless of the self doubt, I believed to myself, “What do I’ve to lose?” I clicked “Apply” and went by means of the applying course of with out giving it a second thought.
I acquired an invite to interview for the internship in February 2016, two months after making use of.
This was the results of over 20 résumé revisions over 3 months.
One of many greatest items of recommendation I acquired going by means of the recruitment course of for the primary time was, “When you get to a sure level, your résumé suggestions will begin to sound related. That is when you realize your résumé is prepared.”
So that is what I did.
After I was at Babson School, I went to weekly occasions the place recruiters from all industries got here to speak about their open positions. After every session, I all the time requested recruiters to assessment my résumé for 10 seconds and provides me one space of enchancment.
As well as, I went to the profession middle each week to ask for suggestions often. I documented each little bit of suggestions and made positive my revisions addressed all of them.
After about 20 revisions, that is the résumé I used to land the Google internship and not using a referral.
By way of my involvement with Delta Sigma Pi, an expert growth group, I had entry to résumé examples from upperclassmen who had labored at prime corporations like JP Morgan.
The commonest theme I observed in every of these résumés was that every was packed full of data.
Once you have a look at my résumé, your preliminary response is perhaps, “Wow – that is fairly dense.” And you would be proper. That is the primary impression I needed to share with the recruiter.
Recruiters take 6 seconds to have a look at résumés earlier than making a call, and I needed to verify to point out my numerous experiences, management abilities, and initiatives. Now, my profession helps different underdogs land their dream job — this consists of offering free résumé templates.
Your schooling part needs to be temporary.
This part is highlighted on the prime to shortly inform recruiters that I used to be a pupil searching for an internship. Within the schooling part, it ought to spotlight three key particulars:
- Diploma, together with majors, minors and concentrations with anticipated completion dates
- Related awards & coursework (if relevant)
- GPA (if larger than 3.0)
These three bullets assist the recruiter get a grasp your candidacy instantly for related entry degree roles and internships. (Remember that most internships are designed for college kids of their penultimate years.)
Be intentional along with your work experiences.
After the schooling part, it is typical to showcase your work experiences. That is the place it’s best to spotlight your internships, work-studies, or different jobs you might have beneath your belt.
The aim of every expertise is to point out the recruiter two issues: impression and relevance.
1. Influence: I like to recommend utilizing Google’s X-Y-Z Formulation in your bullet factors: Achieved [X] as measured by [Y], by doing [Z].
This methodology has Google’s stamp of approval and is in keeping with the résumé suggestions we have heard from recruiters. Let’s break it down.
- Achieved [X]: Spotlight what you completed in your position. For instance, did you set up an occasion for a consulting membership? If that’s the case, you’d write: “Organized a consulting oriented panel occasion.”
- As measured by [Y]: Spotlight the quantifiable impression of your actions. For instance, how many individuals attended your occasion? Write: “Organized a consulting oriented panel occasion that introduced in 50 attendees.”
- By doing [Z]: Spotlight the “how.” For instance, how did you set up the occasion? Write: “Organized a consulting oriented panel occasion that introduced in 50 attendees, by collaborating with 5 group members.
Most individuals will make the error of specializing in the accomplishment and never the latter 2 parts of the bullet level, so be sure you seize the X, Y and Z!
2. Relevance: Not all experiences are created equal. I like to recommend you have a look at a job description and ensure your résumé checks off no less than 75% of the necessities listed on the roles and tasks. In doing so, it will present the recruiter that you’ve the purposeful experience and abilities to do the position.
Some of the frequent questions I obtain is, “However what if I haven’t got work expertise?” I like to recommend highlighting your class and challenge experiences in your résumé. These experiences nonetheless educate you fundamentals you may want in your internship.
For instance, on my résumé I had a “Mission Expertise” part, the place I wrote about my Clarkston Consulting expertise.
I took a category referred to as “Administration Consulting Subject Expertise” i.e. MCFE, the place I, together with 3 different college students, consulted a enterprise. I particularly selected to record this class challenge expertise as a result of I needed to point out recruiters the evaluation and analysis abilities I used throughout the challenge.
In doing so, I hoped to point out them that I might apply these abilities at their corporations, if given the chance.
Ensure that to display management.
Past your schooling and work experiences, management expertise is essential. A pacesetter will not be somebody whos has a title, however fairly is somebody who can encourage and inspire others.
Every of your management experiences ought to spotlight the impression you’ve got delivered in your roles; emphasize your means to guide and work with individuals.
In my résumé, you may see that I listed 4 experiences:
- Babson Consulting Affiliation: This highlights my curiosity within the consulting trade.
- Babson Asian Pacific Group: This exhibits I’ve passions outdoors of his skilled pursuits.
- Delta Sigma Pi: This group has affiliations with 275,000 members, so I hoped to make use of this to attach with members.
- Pupil Authorities Affiliation: This exhibits my skills to encourage & lead my constituents.
Purpose for constant suggestions.
This isn’t the tip all, be all résumé useful resource, however I hope this helps individuals who really feel misplaced of their job search. Your résumé is the one of the vital essential components of your job search course of as a result of that’s what recruiters have a look at to find out whether or not or not they need to interview you in your internship or entry-level position.
Much like the recommendation I acquired once I was in school, do not intention for perfection. Purpose for the purpose through which your résumé suggestions begins to sound related. That is when you realize your résumé is prepared.
Jerry Lee is the COO and cofounder of Wonsulting.